Monday, August 13, 2012

The Farm!

We celebrated Snug's birthday the day before with our Ohio family, and later with our Michigan family, so on his actual birthday we had no festivities planned.  However, I certainly wasn't going to just let the day go by unnoticed!  We packed up and headed out with our good friends to a 1800's working farm that we love and try to visit at least once a summer.  
Everybody had to use the potty and wash their hands and gather for a group picture before we went in.  

First up was the blacksmith shop where they got a demonstration of how steel bends when heated and about the coal they use to keep the fire going.
Somebody was all about the horses.  That's my girl!
I'm hoping to be able to go back for Draft Horse Days where they have plowing competitions.

Horse lover in training.
Snug and his gal pal have been friends for a long time and I hope that friendship continues even as they get older and have more distain for the opposite sex.  They are just good buddies and I love it.

I don't know how old this lamb was, but I'd say just a few days at most.



The kids enjoyed trying to walk on stilts.
Thankfully one of the adults was mature enough not to just be snapping pictures of everything and took the time to help the children.  Geesh.

Sweet Pea was along too (of course) but rode in the baby backpack 99% of the time.

The handwashing flats challenge gave me a whole new respect for a washtub and board.

The homemade marble run is always a hit.  I was a little disappointed there wasn't anyone working in the kitchen that day as there usually is.  However, that meant that the house was practically ours for quite awhile and the kids were able to play and I could nurse and sit down for awhile.


Checkers on the front porch.
Neither one had a clue what to do from what I could tell, but as they are also good buddies they had a good time trying.
There is a creek bed on the farm that the kids can go down and throw rocks in and look for crawdads.  It was pretty low this summer as we haven't had much rain.



Ok, she is seriously SO cute!

And a good time was had by all.

We're currently in Michigan for a softball tournament and my cousin's wedding.  I'll post more next week when things slow down a bit (you know with Draycare and school starting).  Have a good one!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE this post. All of it. Every picture. Every part. My favorite, ever :)

B

Jenilee said...

looks like so much fun and something we would love!

A Cheryl said...

Love the your post as usual. I have Great-Grandma VanCamp's (your Great Great-Grandma)old washboard and it looks just like the one in the photo! Love A Cheryl

nancy said...

Just love seeing your family pictures and activities!